Confessions of a Rocket Scientist
Tuesday, July 27, 2004
  RIP David "Ducky" Klouser
A good friend of mine just died.  His name was Dave Klouser.  His friends (and a lot of his enemies) called him "Ducky."  I don't know where he got that nickname.

Ducky was a fellow rocketeer.  He was a NAR competitor and a champion several times.  His claim to fame was in boost gliders, but he also snagged a championship for helicopter recovery.  And he had been a member of the USA International Team.

Ducky was a really intense competitor.  He would give you the benefit of his knowledge and experience and ask nothing in return except perhaps some of yours.  He was also generous with his time, especially when it came to introducing newcomers to the hobby.  But on the field of competition watch out!  He was fierce, with no quarter asked and none given.

Ducky founded the NAR section I belong to, PARA.  He mostly formed it to have a venue for competition, but he also wanted to get some local people interested in flying.

Ducky was not always a pleasant person, especially in his later years.  He was a very annoying person, sometimes quite dictatorial in his style, and given to complaining about and over-reacting to some very minor incidents.  We didn't know it at the time, but it was the beginning of his disease.

Ducky suffered from something called Semantic Dementia (SD).  You can read about it here.  He had been fighting this disease for a long time when he died, just one day short of his 49th birthday.  That is way to young to die.

As far as I know, he passed away at home with his family.  He left behind two brothers and his parents.  I felt kind of bad because I had a doctor's appointment the day of his funeral, at exactly the same time.  But maybe this is better.  I never saw Ducky in the later stages of his disease.  My memories of him are those of a vigorous man flying his beloved boost gliders.

I am sure that Ducky is now conversing with G. Harry Stine and the other great rocketeers who have gone before us.  And I have a sneaky feeling that, should I be fortunate enough to pass through the Pearly Gates, that Ducky will be there, organizing a competition.  I plan to beat the pants off him in parachute duration.

Rest in peace, old friend
 
Comments:
I just decided to do a google on my brother which I do from time to time to see what is out there on him. I can hardly believe that I has been over a year since he left us. I don't know how "close" a friend you are to him but there was an omission in your blog. Ducky also left behind a sister and a nephew who loved him. He got his knickname because he was a computer systems analyist and they used the letters of his name for an id. David Keith Klouser plus a y for his job so DKKY.
 
I used to play tennis with Dave many years ago, and I have fond memories of him: a smart, kind, moody guy. He and I had a crush on the same girl. As far as I know, he didn't succeed at getting her either.
 
I used to play tennis with David many years ago, and I have fond memories of him: a smart, kind, moody guy. He and I had a crush on the same girl. As far as I know, he didn't succeed at getting her either.
 
I never saw David because he died after I was born.he is my uncle.I wish I could see him because I have so much to ask you. I think you are a wonderful guy.

morgan
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
The continuing story of a man, his hobby, and the search for a really good cup of coffee.

"The first cup of coffee in the morning recapitulates Phylogeny." -J. Pournelle

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quakertown, Pennsylvania, United States

Two time cancer survivor, happily married, LaSalle Alumnus

ARCHIVES
July 2004 / August 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / April 2005 / August 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / February 2006 / April 2007 / August 2007 /


Powered by Blogger